The Happy Little Garbage Truck is a fun way to teach literacy skills to your child while building self-esteem! It is perfect for home schooling and for parents who may just want to extend the learning experiences of their children!
As a child develops and becomes more interested in the world around them, this curiosity must be tapped to increase learning opportunities. Interest in a child’s community usually begins by watching community workers.
The Happy Little Garbage Truck taps into this interest and brings the child along on a day-in-the-life of a busy little garbage truck. The Happy Little Garbage Truck’s story is written to not only capture the child’s innate interests about their world and community−it also teaches skills such as doing a good job, empathy and friendship.
Each lesson in the Teacher’s Guide will:
- Explore key concepts in a one-on-one setting
- Present easy to follow directions to facilitate language skills
- Provide lists of vocabulary words that correspond to each series of pages that are covered
- Offer a variety of ways to connect the meaning of these words to their real-life use and application
- Cover only a few pages of the story to give the child ample time to reflect on a small portion of the content for greater understanding
- Provide tiered lessons – to help you meet your child’s ability level
- Offer separate games and activities to extend the learning experience
- Offer games that help reinforce a child’s understanding of feelings
- Expand a child’s independence, critical thinking and self-esteem
The Student Activity Guide (with corresponding activity pages for each lesson) was created for a variety of interest and ability levels!
- Coloring pages
- Word searches
- Unscramble the words
- Crossword puzzles
I’ve successfully used each of these strategies with the children I’ve taught over 27+ years. I know that they will help you, too!